Alison Pratt Vernon

Artist’s Statement

I am a beginner to the world of paint, but not to the world of art.

From childhood, I wanted to be an artist. I majored in Fine Art in college and worked as a self-employed jeweler and glass artist for several years. In 1986, I began Handscapes Gallery in Beaufort, NC, as a way to display my work and the work of friends. I quickly realized that I had to either be the artist or the business person, so I became the business person.Over the years, the gallery grew to include the works of over 200 artists, in media ranging from jewelry to glass, to paintings and photography. I loved promoting other artists, and am very grateful for the 31 years I spent surrounded by such creativity.

However, I have always wanted to paint.  

I've painted a series of modern-day icons - women who, through their courage, dignity, perseverance, and wisdom, reach for a higher truth, and inspire us to do the same. I think it reminds us that ordinary people can make a difference. 

I have also been doing a series of paintings based on a trip to Tanzania. During that amazing experience, I was taken with the landscape, wildlife, and people. 
 
I paint almost every day and love it. My favorite subjects are people and animals, fascinated by their expressions and their personalities. 

I am excited to see where the journey takes me. 



Website  -   Email